Wyrmshadow: The Duskreign Prophecy
100,000 – 30,000 Years Ago
100,000 years ago – The Legendary Wyrm heeds the pleas of Aos and Nus, granting the extinct Sau a second chance to live and thrive in Wyrmshadow. In order to avoid the hazards of their destructive past, the Legendary Wyrm opted to create two, unique races, one smaller and more manageable to the other races of Wyrmshadow, yet still exemplifying the fire and passion of the fallen Sau, the other possessed of the greater share of the power and scale of the Sau, but lacking the savagery and brutality of their extinct ancestors. These two races would come to be known as the Zardians and the Dragons. The Legendary Wyrm created two dragons, a male named Bahamut and a female named Tiamat, and bade them to propagate their species as they saw fit, bearing in mind the mistakes of their Sau ancestors. 5,000 Zardians were created as well, placed in the charge of the Dragons as their servants and slaves.
- 99,000 years ago – = Despite being eternally bound to one another as mates, Tiamat and Bahamut came to despise one another. After creating between them 1,000 eggs, they awaited the hatching and divided their children up into two sects, the metallic Baham and the chromatic Amat. One of the eggs, which was believed to bear a metallic dragon within, did not hatch, yet still bore the spark of life within. This egg, dubbed the Egg of Bahamut, would be safeguarded by chosen Dragon protectors throughout the millennia to come.
- 98,994 years ago – After the eggs were hatched and their children were divided between them, Tiamat and Bahamut went separately to the far south and north. Tiamat fled north to make her home in the Rohn Highlands, her children preying upon the creatures of Prair. Thoron, meanwhile, took up residence in destroyed Sau capital that had come to be known as Ruin.
- 79,822 years ago – In the innocence of their youths, the children of Tiamat and Bahamut were oblivious to their creators’ mutual hatred for each other. Two such Dragons were Thoron, a Platinum Dragon and the first of the Baham to hatch from his shell, and Reignyth, a Jade Dragon whose beauty and grace led many from the other races to view her as an object of worship. A clan of Dwarves carved a massive Dragon statue out of pure Jade and built a subterranean city, Dragonstone, in honor of Reignyth. Thoron and Reignyth began to love one another, despite the fact that their creators’ forbade any interaction between the Amat and Baham.
- 59,000 years ago – A thousand years after their creation, tensions between the Amat in the north and the Baham in the south erupted into a full on war. In the past millennium, the Dragons had multiplied and numbered in the hundreds of thousands, and their war threatened to destroy every civilization that stood between them. It was agreed among the mortal races that none should ally themselves with either side of this ferocious conflict between the Dragon clans, despite the efforts of both Tiamat and Bahamut to recruit their aid for their side of the war. As a result, the mortal races grew tighter in their bonds to one another and, as a result, grew stronger in the face of adversity beyond their means to control.
- 58,977 years ago – During a lull in the combat between the Dragon clans, Thoron and Reignyth met in secrecy to discuss with one another the idea of a truce among the clans, an end to their pointless conflict. Their entire war was based on what amounted to the worlds most violenly bitter divorce between the Dragon King and Queen, and rather than allow their family to be torn further apart, they sought out those who would prefer to settle things more amicably.
- 58,500 years ago – After five-hundred years of constant, horrible war, Tiamat and Bahamut are pressured into calling a truce, essentially halting direct combat, but doing nothing to bridge the chasm build between the Baham and the Amat. The Cold Dragon War had begun, and these were the times worst on the other races of the world, as the dragons took to roost in the citys and settlements of Human, Elf, Dwarf, and the other races.
- 58,494 years ago – Due to their commitment not to involve themselves in the Draconic Wars, the other races agreed to tolerate the presences of the dragons, though in most cases they had little choice but to do so. Thoron and Reignyth had fallen deeply in love with one another but, as a result of their parent’s stipulation for the truce, they had to remain separated from one another.
- 58,045 years ago – Thoron took on the form of a human Idrahaali general, Thranos, and settled among the humans, all but denouncing his own kind in desperation over the loss of his love, Reignyth. Thranos met a young human warrior, Asvhar, who was the first to challenge the Draconic occupation of Idrahaal. Thranos acted as an advisor to Asvhar in a campaign against the resident dragons, children of his own father, Bahamut, in an attempt to force these dragons to leave Idrahaal once and for all. Asvhar would grow very powerful and influential, and many believed that he was the “second coming” of Idrahl himself.
- 58,040 years ago Asvhar conquers Idrahaal’s capital with General Thranos’ aid. Legends say Asvhar walked right up to the dragon sitting in the king’s throne, removed his gauntlet and threw it in the dragon’s lap, demanding a duel. Despite being a human, Asvhar won the duel and, being a honorable dragon, Argentum the Silver abided Asvhar’s demands and ordered all dragons to vacate the island nation of Idrahaal at once. Thranos revealed himself to be Thoron to Asvhar, saying that he, too, would leave and never return. However, Asvhar then changed his mind, saying that he felt a bond with these dragons, a bond of honor beyond mere blood, an “ancient” bond he could not describe. He asked instead for the dragons to be allies in Asvhar’s planned conquest of the Northern continent, a request Thoron, Argentum, and the other dragons of Idrahaal were happy to comply with.
- 58,011 years ago – After nearly thirty years of conquest, the Idrahaal Empire of Man would stretch all the way from the forests of Ilras to the seat of the new nation of Imperia, with Asvhar himself sitting as the First Emperor of Imperia. Outraged at the Humans more for their disregard of the agreement not to ally with the Dragons than for their violent conquest of the north, the Elves of Quae and the Dwarves of Kordoth each declared war on Imperia.
- 58,000 years ago – The millennium-long truce between the dragons would crumble as well, leading to the first world-wide war since the fall of the Sau. Asvhar, as the resurrected Phoenix, managed victory after victory against all foes until, eventually, Tiamat and Bahamut themselves appeared to confront him. Thoron, feeling wholly responsible for this escalation, attempted once again to broker a truce, joined once again by Reignyth in the attempt. Asvhar had grown too hungry for conquest, however, and decided to take his chances against Bahamut and Tiamat on his own. For his hubris, Asvhar was killed, and soon thereafter, the war came to an end.
- 57,992 years ago – Bahamut and Tiamat came to a new agreement, creating a haven for dragons among the stars, a new cosmic plane to call their own, Draconia. Thoron and Reignyth were among the few dragons to decide to remain among the humans, the majority of dragonkind migrating to Draconia to etch out a new place for themselves in a world uncorrupted by elf or dwarf or man. Thoron and Reignyth wed one another, cementing rule over the dragons from both families that decided to stay behind. Thoron took on the role of General Thranos once again, returning with his bride, Lady Rena, the human-form of Reignyth, to help rebuild Idrahaal after the tumultuous power vacuum left behind when Emperor Asvhar was killed in battle.
- 33,120 years ago – The Archdemons Testament, Fa’Zael, and Orius arrive from Infernia with 1,000 Infernal agents and begin to secretly insinuate themselves into various societies and cultures throughout Wyrmshadow. All this was in preparation for the return of Asmous, the wayward Ancient who had left the world hundreds of millennia ago in search of new worlds for the Legendary Wyrm to restore to life.
- 32,000 years ago – From the bowels beneath Imperia, a bright glow of crimson drew itself up from the soil, tainting the earth and sprouting forth a massive rift adjoining the realms of Materia and Infernia. From this rift poured forth monsters and demons, agents of chaos, children and creations of Lord Asmous the Foul. The Age of the Demons was at hand. Asmous was incredibly powerful, unaffected by the Legendary Wyrm’s doctrine removing power from all the Ancients, as he had been on his journey through the Void while the Wyrm slept and his brothers and sisters tore apart its great works in their vanity.
- 31,999 years ago – Asmous had not been squandering the past 500,000 years in his absence. He had not only the powers bestowed upon him by the Legendary Wyrm eons past but, in that time, he had developed his own source of power, an Aether, much like the mana drawn upon by the Elves, but far more volatile, far more caustic, and far more corrupting. While the Ancients of old begot Humans and Elves and the other races of Wyrmshadow, Asmous begot the demons, children of his Ancient blood and the tainted influence of Infernal Aether. Those children, the Archdemons of Infernia, began to develop monsters for use as weapons of siege when the time came for Asmous to declare Materia his sovereign right. In the Legendary Wyrm’s long absence, Asmous had come to believe that his creator had fallen into oblivion. Sending agents into Materia through the use of infinitesimal tunnels connecting Materia to Infernia through the Void, called Hellryfts, these agents of Asmous sowed the seeds of chaos upon the unsuspecting world. All this was in preparation for the coming invasion, a massive Hellryft opening in Imperia a year earlier, when all the races of Wyrmshadow were tattered and exhausted from war. Thus Asmous arrived to conquer a world wholly unprepared to offer an adequate defense.
- 31,966 years ago – The nation of Idrahaal was reduced to smouldering ruins, despite the valiant efforts of Thoron and Reignyth to aid in its defense. Taking up residence in the deserts of Muhar, where the oppressive heat was most in common with the torrid wastes of Infernia, Asmous had the local human tribes enslaved and forced into labor, building great monuments to the demons. Massive pyramids and monoliths were erected by the dune dwelling Fire Giants, now slaves to the Infernal oppressors. Thus the desert city of Muhar was built.
- 31,910 years ago – Much of the elven race was destroyed and scattered by the Infernal forces in the early years of the invasion, and the race would never be the same again. The Elves, once a diverse, yet homogenous group centered in Quae Elfien, was forced to scatter its peoples to separate regions of the globe in order to prevent the entire race from being driven to extinction. The Aquatic Elves migrated to the coastal shores and erected the kingdom of Anda Lusia. The Draoish Elves moved north to Prair, building a city called Neverdawn in the shadows cast down from the Rohn Highlands. The free-spirited Forest Elves, fled north to build a city in the boughs of the Mana Tree in the Ilrasi Wilds, while the High Elves remained in their ancestral city of Quae Elfien, determined not to let the demonic threat drive them from their homes.
- 31,770 years ago – Some few heroic figures rose out of this period of history, one of the earliest to be documented in written texts from the era, though much of these manuscripts would not survive the rigors of time. However, one particular tale was that of the return of the Legendary Wyrm, its titanic battle with Asmous the Foul, and the time of darkness that would grip the world in the aftermath of their battle. On this year, the Legendary Wyrm bade Aos, Nus, and Phi accompany it back to Materia once again to deal with this new threat to creation.In the skies over Ruin, the shattered remains of the Ancient’s temple in honor of the Legendary Wyrm, a great conflagration of energies amassed in a tremendous, terrifying storm of roiling fury. From within this storm emerged the Legendary Wyrm itself, its shadow once again cast out across the world of its making, its three-voiced roar so loud as to shatter glass the world over. Asmous heard the call of his creator and rang out from the North with a roar of his own, the very sound of his rage calling his forces to arms against this new threat to his dark dominion.
Aos, Nus, and Phi were looked upon by the denizens of the world, ancestors of their Ancient brethren, as divine beings. What remained of the history of the world glorified their arrival, sparking the hopes of the people. The three Elders became capable of feeding off of these hopes, the very faith of the people lending them a strength previously unknown to them. In the coming millenia, they would learn to rely upon the power bestowed upon them by the faith of the children of their Ancient kin to aid them in restoring the balance of this world of constant change. However, the Infernal threat had first to be dealt with.
While the three Elders did battle with the armies of Infernia, joined in their efforts by Thoron, Reignyth, and the rest of the dragons left behind on Materia in the age long since past, the Wyrm itself saw to its wayward son, Asmous, and his treacherous intents for its legacy, Wyrmshadow. The battle that ensued between these two tremendous forces would once again have a tremendous effect on the world surrounding them. Great chunks of land in the east and west were torn from the continent and sent deep into the sea, the islands of Shidi Ma, Paradisla, Nou Gravai, and Freel forming due to the tremendous forces at play in the skies over Wyrmshadow.
Even as the battle raged, Aos realized that the presence of such potent opposing forces was too traumatic for the Legendary Wyrm’s creations to withstand. This was the very reason why such powers were removed from this world hundreds of thousands of years before. This world was no place for the demons, and no place for the Elders either. The three Elders agreed to follow in the footsteps of the wise Dragons of old. They pledged, once the Infernal threat was dealt with, to create their own sanctuary realm, an Arcadia from which to observe and aid the peoples of Wyrmshadow from afar.
In the final throes of their battle, both the Legendary Wyrm and Asmous were dealt catastrophic injuries by one another. Asmous’s injuries were so profound that only retreat and eternal exile in Infernia would save his life. Leaving behind throngs of followers in a bid to maintain a foothold in Materia, Asmous fled through the massive Hellryft in the heart of Imperia, sealing it until such time as he was ready to try once again to take Wyrmshadow as his prize.
Some demons would continue to reign in scattered areas of Wyrmshadow through most of the following age, however, the Age of the Demons was over. The Raksha, Infernians who, like demonic versions of Weren, could take the form of sphinxes and hybrids of sphinx and man, maintained a bitter and cruel empire in the oppressive dunes of Muhar. On the recently formed island nation of Shidi Ma, insidious Oni (seductive illusionist demons who could take the form of massive dragon-like hellfire-breathing wolves) insinuated themselves into Shidi society and culture, intermingling with the bloodline of the humans of that land until nearly all of the Shidi people bore the taint of Infernal blood.
Three Archdemons were left behind to coordinate the efforts of these demons and others left behind in the wake of Asmous’s retreat. These three archdemons, Orius, Fa’zael, and Testament, would plague the world for ages to come, a legacy of the demon’s constant thirst for conquest of all Wyrmshadow.
The Legendary Wyrm’s injuries were far worse than it could withstand, and would prove to be fatal to the creator of the world. Even as the peoples of Wyrmshadow forgot about the creator and began to worship the three Elders, Aos, Nus, and Phi, these three children of the Legendary Wyrm mourned for its loss. The Wyrm was buried deep within the Wyrmscar Caverns in which it slept a half-million years ago, hidden away from all who would come in search of it’s body, and the being responsible for all life on Wyrmshadow would never be seen or heard from again.